Translate

Monday, November 7, 2011

Peace and Faith


Joh 16:33 I have spoken these things to you so that you might have peace in Me. In the world you shall have tribulation, but be of good cheer. I have overcome the world.

This verse can provide hope and relief, if we allow it to.  Sometimes in the course of our day, we can forget that God is the God of Peace.  We all have so many things, distractions each day that can turn our focus away from the Calmer of the Storm. 

It has been difficult for me to learn over the last few months that it really doesn't matter what is going around me while I am at work or even while I am at home.  As long as I keep my focus on the God of Peace, external forces have no impact on me, my mind, my thoughts, or even my mood. 

In Mark chapter 4, the disciples and Jesus were in a boat crossing from one side to another after a long day of ministry.  A horrible storm comes up and the boat begins to fill with water.  The disciples were looking at the dismal situation and becoming fearful of the worsening storm.  In fact, they couldn't believe that Jesus was asleep while the storm was raging around them. 

How many times have each of us felt as though Jesus were just sleeping while we are drowning in the day-to-day pressures and stresses that we deal with?  It can be so easy to lose focus, become introspective and get distracted.  We cannot find our answers within ourselves.  We must be able to look beyond the circumstances to the One who keeps us safe.  He is always in control and even though I may not be able to see it at the time, He is perfectly capable of saying "Peace! Be Still!" to my circumstances, if He chooses to.  I have to maintain my focus, learn that it doesn't really matter what is going on around me, what people say about me, who tries to provoke me or any number of other things....God is in control...God will always be in control...and my faith in Him should always be strong. 

To keep my peace through any situation I also have to the faith that God intends to use the circumstances for my good.  This is the reason that I said at the start of this post that John 16:33 could be hope and relief...

Jesus has overcome the world!  He has already defeated everything, every enemy, anything that can come against me....Jesus has already defeated!  I can rest easy in the knowledge that I have the armor of God to protect me in battle, the name of the Lord as my strong tower and fortress, and if I wait on Him to still the circumstances for me:

Isa 40:31 but those who wait on Jehovah shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.

And more than that: Have no fear, only faith!!
Mar 4:39 And He awakened and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, Peace! Be still! And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.
Mar 4:40 And He said to them, Why are you so fearful? How is it that you have no faith?

No comments:

Post a Comment