Translate

Friday, October 28, 2011

A person of purpose....

I listen to a very popular bible teacher most mornings while I am getting ready for work.  She said something this morning that has had me thinking all morning long.  So much so, that I have had to push the thoughts out of my mind so I could concentrate on my work. 

We must be a person of purpose. 

She followed that with sometimes a person of purpose is often seen as rigid or uncompromising when in fact that person just knows who he or she is and what it will take to accomplish the goals set before him or her.  I am paraphrasing, but that is pretty close to what caught my attention.

I am often mistaken for cold, rigid, uncompromising, intolerant, closed-minded and inflexible.  I do not mean to be any of those things.  I am; however, very set in my beliefs and I do believe that there is no gray area in life.  Something is either black or white; right or wrong.  It cannot be both and it cannot be indifferent.  Unfortunately, our society has become so tolerant of alternative lifestyles, peoples "rights" and opinions, and other religions that we have allowed the smallest, simplest things to have a gray shadow cast over them.  The best example I can give of the attitude of our society is reflected in something a former employer once said to me.  He and I were in a meeting and he was telling me he had tried to explain me, my beliefs, and my unwavering opinions to some coworkers.  He used these words, and yes I do quote, "Cindy doesn't always like to be right.  She just wants to be on the truth side of truth."

My first thought was to laugh out loud, which I did.  The statement "truth side of truth" was so laughable.  I was not aware that truth had two sides or that one could be on any other side of the truth - unless it was a lie...a lie would be the polar opposite of the truth.  I do believe this is the attitude reflected throughout our society right now in these times.  There are many sides to so many debatable topics and we all are so conscious about not offending someone that we adopt an attitude of it isn't right or wrong and it could be different for every person.  Well....truth is truth.  It has no side...it just is.  I don't mean the truth according to man.  I mean the awe-inspiring truth that can only come from the Holy Spirit because He is the revealer of all things (1 Corinthians 2:10-11).

So...all of this was running through my head this morning and all of a sudden I had a question put into my spirit that has prompted even more thought. 

"Do you live life on purpose or do you let life happen to you?"

I don't know if I have heard that question at some point in time and it was just called to my remembrance or if the Holy Spirit asked a very simple...yet profound...question.  Well, in trying to examine what that could possibly mean, it led to another question:

How do I live life on purpose?

One simple scripture came to mind next:

Psalm 34:14 Depart from evil; do good.  Seek peace and pursue it.

What better way to live life on purpose instead of watching it go by without me?  This scripture requires definite action and not complacency.  First of all, we must depart from evil.  We must repent of our sins, we must turn and follow Christ.  We must stop participating in the things that could call our salvation into question: Fornication, adultery, gossip, drunkenness, etc.  AND while I am fleeing, or departing, from all of that, I should do good.  My day should start with a simple prayer, "Lord, what can I do for you today?" 

I should be looking all around me for the people the Lord would lead me to, or to me, that I can bless and help for His glory.  I should also make every effor to seek peace with those around me.  To be a source of peace for others.  Sometimes that peace can stay just out of reach or seem like it can...but it requires constant pursuit.  I must be always thinking about what I can do to keep the peace, not get my feelings hurt, and maintain my witness of the love of Jesus Christ to this hurt, lost, and dying world. 

Yes...it is all so much easier than it sounds, but I am not alone in this journey.  You are not alone in this journey.  We have the Lamb of God, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, that walks with us every day.  If we keep our eyes on Him and do the things we are commanded to do...ON PURPOSE, then we will find that we begin to live life on Purpose. 



No comments:

Post a Comment