Translate

Thursday, October 27, 2011

If what you are doing isn't working...

...then change what you are doing.

My husband and I learned that simple saying early on in our marriage.  Sometimes making a change in our lives is really just that simple, too.  Humans can be so resistent to change - even to the smallest bit of change.  I guess what comes to mind is the layman's "definition" of insanity: insanity means doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.

We forget to be ready to go where God wants us to go.  We can get so complacent in our lives that we just simply exist; go through the motions.  God told Abram (who later Jehovah re-named Abraham):

Gen 12:1 And Jehovah said to Abram, Go out of your country, and from your kindred, and from your father's house into a land that I will show you.
 
"...into a land that I WILL show you."  God didn't tell Abram where to go, He just said "go out of your country."   How scary is that to our human minds?  To not know where we are going, just to go?  No plan, no stopping point...just leave everything and everyone behind...

What did Abram do?

Gen 12:4 And Abram departed, even as Jehovah had spoken to him. And Lot went with him. And Abram was seventy-five years old when he departed from Haran.

He left...even as God had spoken to him.  This scripture implies to me that Abram did not let any grass grow under him.  He left his country because God told him to leave. 

Sometimes we are so caught up in our daily lives and the routines we have established that we forget that we must be ready to "go."  We go to work, or to school, we go home, wash clothes, clean the house, play with the kids, go to bed...and we do it all again the next day, and the day after that and the day after that.  Somewhere along the way we forget that God is in control of all things.

We need to be willing and able to say "Here am I. Send me."  If we can't say that, then we need to be able to say Lord, I will go where you want me to go.  I will speak what you want me to speak and I will do what you want me to do.  Chris Tomlin's song "I Will Follow" sums it very plainly. 

Where You go, I'll go.  Where You stay, I'll stay.  When You move, I'll move. I will Follow!  Listen here

This where our faith comes into play.  We must have the faith to KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt that God is speaking, He is true and faithful to His Word.  He means for us to live in peace and prosperity.  He has plans and a future for us.  All we must do is have the faith to serve Him above all else.  We must be willing to leave everything behind us in order to move forward in Him.

If you have tried and fought and clawed your way through everything and experienced nothing but struggle and strife throughout your life but you continue to do the same thing over and over again, change what you are doing. Step out in faith and believe that God is going to work things out for your good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment