Translate

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Don't be an Earthworm Christian

I don’t understand earthworms.  I know that sounds silly, but I really don’t.  As I have been walking at Coleman Park I have noticed an unusually high number of dead earthworms on the walkway.  Some have been stepped on (really people?) and some have died on the hot Texas sidewalk under a hot Texas sun.  What I find amazing is they are trying to leave their natural habitat and cross the sidewalk. 

Okay, I get it.  We have had a very wet spring.  Even though we haven’t had rain in over a week, the ground is still saturated in areas with poor drainage.  It is taking a very long time for some areas to dry out.  So as I am walking and listening to my tunes, I am wondering to myself why an earthworm would want to leave the perfect home God created for it to risk death to get to another area.  My mom was walking with me one day this past week and said, “They would rather fry than drown.” I guess that is true.  All I know is I can see them floundering and finding it difficult to inch their way in any direction the longer they are on the pavement – outside of their perfect place.  I picked up a few and put them back in the grass.  If a worm can scurry, then they did.  They didn’t to like be touched or redirected, even if it was for their own good. They flopped and floundered when they sensed what they considered danger, a defense mechanism, I am sure. 

That sparked something in my spirit and I started really mulling that over.  It occurred to me that we as Christians sometimes allow fear to determine our destination.  We get uncomfortable when we feel like we are drowning in our circumstances and instead of keeping our eyes on Jesus and learning to walk on the water, we choose to relocate.  Our path may be one that intends us harm.  The path may be one that is similar to the sidewalk for the earthworm and lead to our spiritual death.  We have to wait on the Lord to either dry up the water (clear the circumstances), or allow us to walk on the water as we maintain our focus on Him, lifting us above our circumstances.  It says in Isaiah 40:31 – a verse we all know well:

But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.

Even better than walking on the water is mounting up with wings like eagles; feeling as though we are soaring above the circumstances that have attempted to drown us.  We don’t need to relocate out of fear from the place God has placed us.  We need to maintain focus on Him, seek Him and His righteousness, trust that He cares for us and His plan is perfect, and His plan will be made manifest in its right and perfect time.  God is never late.  God does not intend for us to drown. He does not wish for our demise. Jeremiah 29:11 – 13    
     
(11) For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. (12) Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.  (13) And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.


Seeking Him, we will find Him.  We will call upon Him and pray to Him, and He will listen to us.  Don’t let fear make you flounder and flop in your circumstances.  Let Him give you strength, for it is in His strength you will find victory and peace over your circumstances.  

No comments:

Post a Comment