Translate

Friday, April 19, 2013

A Genie God

I was listening to a podcast this morning of a very popular Bible teacher.  I enjoy this teacher's messages very much.  This teacher made a statement that nearly made me poke myself in the eye with my mascara wand.  The statement that was made:

"God is your paycheck.  Do what you should do and He will reward you."

Something rose up in me and I wanted to shout "He is not an ATM!"  We do not rub a lamp and get unlimited wishes God will fulfill.  While I have been watching and following this particular teacher for several years, I now need to re-evaluate how much, or if at all, I continue to follow.  I cannot subject myself to heretical teaching and I need to be careful what I allow into my mind and spirit.

God is not God to feed us bon-bons and fan us with palm leaves while we are basking in His grace and love.  God is not God to provide us with fine furnishings, fat bank accounts, expensive cars, and any other material thing we desire to obtain.  God is not our bank roll at the end of the day.  This type of teaching...the statement I heard this morning on the podcast...absolves us of any responsibility or accountability to reach for righteousness or to seek peace and pursue it.  This type of teaching does not provide us with a way to mature in Christ and move past the childish things. 


1 Corinthians 13:11

11 - When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

I have 4 children that are all very, very different individuals but they all had something in common.  When they were all small children, they constantly said "I want." They constantly asked for "things" when we went to the store.  They all threw fits when they were told No.  The other thing my children all had in common is I eventually began to feed them solid foods and weaned them off the bottle and baby formula. They began to grow into young men and women with hearts to follow the Lord.

Eventually, as Christians, we must stop saying "I want" to God, stop throwing our little baby tantrums when He says "no" and grow up.  We need to seek the mysteries of the Kingdom.  We should be learning how to become empowered to spread the gospel of the Kingdom.  We must be learning how to represent the King of our Kingdom in a foreign land.  We must have vision to see where God is leading us, what His will holds for us, and how we are to live it out.  To discover what those things are requires spending time with Him in prayer and in the Word. 

The Word says in Proverbs 29:18

18 - Without vision, the people perish; but he that keepeth the law, happy is he.

I am going to insert the word 'clear' in front of vision in the above scripture.  Our vision cannot be obstructed.  Our vision cannot be cloudy, hazy.  Our vision must be clear and focused.  We cannot live blinded to the truth the Holy Spirit wants to reveal to us.  Teachings such as name and claim it or God is your paycheck will cause our vision to become unfocused and cloudy and hazy.  Seek the Kingdom of God and His righteousness first!  We will be blinded and easily swayed without spending time in the Word of God. 

Furthermore, 1 John 4:1

1 - Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

I have said a few times and will say it again:  If it does not line up with the Word of God, then it is not a Bible based teaching and cannot be adhered to, implemented, or preached.  Heretical teaching is a dangerous puddle of quick sand.  It is easy to get sucked in because the type of teaching I heard this morning, appeals to our humanity and selfishness and absolves of responsibility.  When someone throws you a lifeline of true Word teaching and the Holy Spirit gives you revelation, grab on with both hands and let the Holy Spirit pull you out of the quick sand. 

Are you sinking in quick sand today?  Do want to seek a deeper relationship with Christ but don't know how?  Do you wish the power of the Holy Spirit to reveal ALL truth to you?  He can.  He will.  Just ask.

Let me hear from you. I would love to pray with you and to hear what God is doing in your life.  rushingcindy@gmail.com.   


 

No comments:

Post a Comment