Translate

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Yea, Though I walk...

In the post entitled The Rising of the Waters, we looked at how we can keep from being overwhelmed.  I woke up this morning thinking about the post and how to expand on it.  We know how we get overwhelmed.  We saw yesterday that we can avoid it, but what do we do when are overwhelmed by our circumstances anyway?  So, today, I woke up thinking about Psalm 23.

As Christians,we hear these verses recited so much.  We might even recite them ourselves, but do we really listen to what the scriptures are saying?  When do we recite these scriptures?  It almost seems elementary or bible school-ish to recite these doesn't it?  Let's look at them verse by verse:

Psalms 23:1  The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.
The Lord leads me; therefore, I do not lack for anything.

Psalms 23:2  He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters.
The Lord gives me rest in His life.  He leads me in peace. 

Psalms 23:3  He restores my soul; He leads me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake.
He give my tired and weary soul to Him new rest.  He reconciles my soul to Him.  He guides me into righteousness for His glory and honor.

Psalms 23:4  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
I may walk through the lowest points of my life, even through darkenss and death, but I will have no fear because He is with me.  His support through the difficult times brings me comfort.  I am not alone.

Psalms 23:5  You prepare a table for me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over.
He has brought me before those that accuse me, that seek my destruction and fed me from His goodness in front of them.  He has blessed measure. He covers me with His Holy Spirit. 

Psalms 23:6  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
His goodness and mercy will always be with me.  I will make my home in the House of the Lord forever.  

So when we are feeling overwhelmed, sometimes we need to get back to basics.  We need to remember that He is always with us.  He knows everything that is going on in our lives.  AND He is not surprised or shocked at what is happening.  Isn't it funny how we can think God has no idea sometimes what is going on?  We cry out to the heavens during our times of rising waters and say "God! Don't you care?" And then I think about the disciples in the boat during the storm.  (Matthew 8:23-27).

In verse 25, the disciples said the same thing: "Lord save us!"  In verse 26 Jesus gave a little rebuke that can often be overlooked if we are not careful. He said, "Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?"  Doesn't that speak volumes?  It does to me.  After all, the disciples were in the presence of the King of Kings.  He was in the boat with them.  Yet, they were still afraid.  They still did not have the faith that they would survive the storm. Remember Deuteronomy 31:6?

"Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the Lord your God, He is the One who goes with you.  He will not leave you nor forsake you." 

The Lord our God is THE ONE who goes with us every day!  He leads us.  He guides us. He prepares the path we walk.  He will not leave us.  He will not forsake us.  He is always there. Do not fear.  Do not be afraid.  It doesn't matter what is pressing us.  It doesn't matter how hard the winds blow, how high the waters rise, how high the waves are...when we are tossed around and feel as though we are overwhelmed, we still have The One who goes with us.  

Do you want Him to say O you of little faith?  I don't.  I want to rest in the comfort of the knowledge that My God is always with me.  My God makes me to lie down in green pastures.  He leads me beside still waters.  He restores my soul. He gives me rest.  He gives me peace.  He lends me support (His rod and staff) and gives me comfort.  It doesn't matter what else is going on around me.  His word remains true.  His word gives Life.  His word does what it sets out to accomplish.  

So, today, instead of getting overwhelmed, look to the One who goes with you.  Close your eyes, get in your quiet place and rest in His comfort.  We cannot make it through this world on our own.  Jesus said apart from Him we can do nothing (John 15:5).  He also said that with man it is not possible, but with God all things are possible (Matthew 19:26).  

This year has been about learning how to use the Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God, in our daily lives.  So, today, put Psalm 23 into your heart. Tack it to your cubical wall, tape it to the top of your desk.  Put it on your mirror in the bathroom.  Find ways to remind yourself today and every day that you are in the presence of a King who leads you along the path of righteousness...not of destruction.  He does not seek your demise.  Find comfort in the midst of your storm in Him.  Find your peace in His presence as He leads you before your enemies and those that would mock and ridicule you.

Father, today remind us that the storm will not overwhelm us.  Remind us that you are walking with us and prepare the way for us to go.  Let us find our rest in your Living water, and find the peace our souls need in Your presence.  Thank you for your peace and comfort every day.  In the name of Jesus, amen.  

Join our discussion on our Facebook page.  

No comments:

Post a Comment