Fear should not control us. (For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7)
In my professional life, I am the Administrator for a home health agency, which is to say I am the head honcho. The staff, operations of the agency, and care of our patients are my responsibility. We began to experience a downward trend in revenue and referrals had slowed to a crawl. We had other influences that quickly made it obvious that the agency, and its leadership, were under spiritual attack. As a result, I made a decision: I was going to offer my Director of Nurses the opportunity for daily morning prayer time. As a manager, I had to decide was it worth the risk of a potential law suit? Yes.
Matthew 18:18-20 - "Assuredly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. Again, I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them."
The power behind the agreement in prayer with a like-minded individual outweighed for me any negative feedback I could have received. So we began our days prior to staff arrival in prayer together. What did we pray for?
1. Our Leadership (in our case, the owners of our company). That they be blessed, and God gives them wisdom for making the right and proper decisions for the organization.
- Romans 13:1 - Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God.
- 1 Timothy 2:1-4 - Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
2. Wisdom to Lead - we pray for our staff and the ability to be the examples they need.
- Proverbs 2:6-8 - For the Lord gives wisdom from His mouth come knowledge and understanding; He stores up sound wisdom for the upright; He is a shield to those who walk uprightly; He guards the paths of justice, and preserves the way of His saints.
- James 3:17 - But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good friuts, without partiality and without hypocrisy.
- Psalm 111:10 - The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; a good understanding have all those who do His commandments. His praise endures forever.
3. To bring Him Glory - we pray that He gives us words to speak and that our actions would please Him every day.
- 1 Corinthians 10:31 - Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do. do all to the glory of God.
- Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.
- Colossians 3:23-24 - And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ.
Working in the world as a Christian can be difficult. It takes finding people that are willing to step in faith with us to make a difference in our daily walk and the other lives we come into contact with on a daily basis. We are beginning to see subtle changes in things that are happening in the agency I manage. And they are awesome! We are also seeing attacks from the enemy, sometimes from the most unexpected sources. My Director of Nurses and I make it a point every day when we see the fruits of our commitment to daily prayer manifest in work day to thank God for His faithfulness and to remind each other of His goodness.
When we commit to God even the small things, when we ask for wisdom, when we try to do all things as unto the Lord, great things happen. Mountains are moved. Lives are changed. Faith is strengthened. And God blesses those that are faithful to Him through times of feast and through times of famine. He is not a fair weather God that is worthy of our praise and thanksgiving only during good times. He is an unchanging God that is the same yesterday, today and forever. We praise Him because He is I Am. We pray faithfully and commit each day to Him because His Word tells us to do so.
Don't be afraid to find those people at your place of employment that can be that prayer support system for you. Pray for your leadership. Pray for wisdom and knowledge. Pray for the strength to work each day for the Lord in peace and with joy regardless of the circumstances. You will begin to see God move mightily on behalf of His people.