Translate

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Every decision has a Consequence

My mother told me something this past weekend that has been weighing heavily on my heart the last few days.  My sister has 3 children; all of them are beautiful girls.  Through some bad decisions she made when she was younger, my mother has custody of the oldest and the 2 youngest (who are 12 and 10) live with their father.  My mother tells me this weekend that she has 2 homeless grandchildren.  The little girls (that is what I call them) are being bounced from house to house by their father who has lost his home.  They are staying with friends when able.  Their father is angry at my mother because she won't send the money for a hotel room for them. (He is a [functional] drug addict and alcoholic).  Mother has offered to take the girls until he can get back on his feet, but he refused.  Now, their father has refused to even allow my mother to talk to the girls on the phone or have any interaction with them because she won't send money to him.  My sister's hands are tied, according to the law, and there is nothing she can do to get custody of the girls at this point in time.

As tragic as this situation is right now for my nieces, it got me wondering how often we treat our Heavenly Father the same way my niece's father is treating my mother?  How many times do we look up to God and expect Him to bail us out of a situation we have clearly gotten ourselves into? 
When we do not get the bailout, how many times do we withhold our prayers, our time with Him, our outpouring of love for His sacrifice?  How many times do we get angry with Him for "allowing" us to make the decisions we have made?  How often do we shake our fists at the sky, or get depressed and throw a pity party because God did not step in and prevent us from making poor decisions?  How often do we blame God for all the wrong things in our lives?

God does not desire to see our demise.  He says in Jeremiah 29:11:

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

He also cares so much for us...He cares for my nieces. I have confidence and faith in Jeremiah 29:11.  I also believe what Jesus said in Matthew chapter 6.  He feeds the birds of the air and we are of so much more value so He will take care of and provide for those that are unable to do so for themselves. 

Matthew Chapter 6 also says in verse 33:

"But seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

What is the Kingdom of God?

Romans 14:17 says:  for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. 

We are to seek Righteousness, peace, and joy [the Kingdom of God] and God will add every thing to us we need.  We will be blessed beyond measure with His best for us, but we must seek His Kingdom.  His word does not return void and He will fulfill every promise He has given to us.  He only wants the best for us but He did create us with freewill so we have the ability to make our own decisions and determine the course our lives will take.  He is our guide.  Whether we choose to follow where He leads is up to us. 

As parents, we have a responsibility to our children to seek His will and His Kingdom for our families.  Please join me in prayer for not just my family, but all families that are seeing the enemy have his way in them.  He has come to steal to kill and to destroy.  But Jesus came to give Life!  He makes all things new.  He is the restorer of hearts, of spirits, of lives, of families.  He is the Comforter.  He is the Prince of Peace.  He is Abba Father. 



No comments:

Post a Comment