Translate

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Walk the Talk

When we face struggles, opposition, or other obstacles, it can be very difficult to stay focused on the One who is strong enough to save us from every situation.  We often focus so much on the problem or the situation that we then feel defeated.

Tenth Avenue North, an awesome Contemporary Christian music group has a song that says that very thing.  Click here to watch a lyric video of the song.  My favorite line in the entire song is this:


"The One the winds and waves obey is strong enough to save you."

How often do we forget that God is stronger and bigger than any situation we face?  I know I struggle with that even today.  My first natural or carnal thought is "What am I going to do about this?"  I ask that question frequently.  Even now I have a situation at work that I am trying to work out.  Today, it all has come to a head so I now have a responsibility with the knowledge I have of the Word of God to practice what I preach, walk the talk, and remember that my God is above and beyond all I can think or imagine with my human finite mind.  There is nothing that concerns me that He cannot handle or resolve.  In fact, no matter how hurtful the situation or how stressful or how unjust, He cares for me and He cares for you.  He cares so much in fact, that Paul told the Romans:

Romans 12:19-21

19 - Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay," says the Lord.
20 - Therefore "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; If he is thirsty, give him a drink; For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head."
21 - Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

For me personally, this has to be one of the toughest set of scriptures for me to obedient to.  My first response is to lash out like a hurt animal when I am attacked.  This scripture says I cannot do that.  I must love my enemy.  I must meet his needs with a right heart and by doing so I will enact vengeance. 

It is important for new believers and non-believers alike to see the commandments and precepts of God walked out in our every day lives.  There is no greater way to destroy my witness than to lash out or allow my emotions to take me over when my emotions are not reliable nor are they spiritual.  In situations where we feel the need to defend ourselves or to take revenge on a party guilty of harming and wounding us, we must turn to our Father. 

In my post Weapons of Protection, I discussed 5 categories of protection we as believers have at our disposal.  It is for times of attack, times of subtlety by the enemy, times like I have had today that we [I] must cry out for God's protection.  We must seek His face about what we should do, if anything, about the situation.  We also have to understand that He is not surprised by anything that occurs in our lives.  Nothing catches God off guard and make Him say, "Where did that come from?"  We must rely on His goodness, grace, and mercy to flow through us during these times to show the world around us that He is a God of His Word.  He is a God that cares for and protects His people.  He is the Alpha and the Omega.  He is the Beginning and the End.  He is the Mighty Warrior.  He is the Prince of Peace.  He is I AM. 

Romans 8:31 - What then shall we say to these things?  If God is for us, who can be against us?

Romans 8:33 - Who shall bring a charge against God's elect?  It is God who justifies.



No comments:

Post a Comment