1 Timothy 4:3,4
3 - For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers;
4 - and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.
9 - Do not be carried about with various and strange doctrines. For it is good that the heart be established by grace, not with foods which have not profited those who have been occupied with them.
Today, a popular pastor of one of the largest churches in the state of Texas made a facebook post that infuriated me for the people of God. I do not consider this man a preacher or a teacher. I believe him to be a wolf in sheep's clothing seeking to keep the children of God under his teaching babies and ignorant of the Word of God. Here is what he said this morning:
"Your opposition may be stronger and better equipped, but when God opens up His floodgates, they’ll be no match for you."What a lie! Our opposition, our enemies cannot possibly be more equipped than we are! We are Citizens of the Kingdom of God. We are heirs and joint heirs with Christ, the Son of the Living God! How can anything be stronger than we are? We have the armor of God to protect us. We have a fortress in the Creator of the Universe. There are also 6 other basic things that make this statement so untrue.
- We are more than conquerors! Romans 8:37-39
- 37 - Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us
- 38 - For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come,
- 39 - nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- 4 - But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us,
- 5 - even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),
- 6 - and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,
- 7 - that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
- 17 - No weapon formed against you shall prosper, and every tongue which rises against you in judgement You shall condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and their righteousness is from Me," says the Lord.
- 12 - For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
- 9 - Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name,
- 10 - that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth,
- 11 - and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
- 15 - Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.
There is nothing and no one that does not bow to the name of Jesus. When the name of Jesus is envoked, demons flee, the dead are raised, the blind see, the lame walk, souls are saved.
We must be careful what information we take in and make sure it lines up with the Word of God and can stand the test. In fact, 1 John 4:1 addresses this very issue:
1 - Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but try the spirits to see if they are of God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
Test what is said with the Word of God. Listen to the Holy Spirit. He is the bearer of ALL truth. If you hear something and have a check in your spirit about it, but not sure why....go to the infallible Word of God! Research it in the word and make certain it is supported in the Word of God. I would even say don't take everything you read in my blog without making certain that what I have said lines up with the Word of God. I pray it does always...but I am still human and not exempt from making errors.
Church...this is a topic I will be spending a lot of time on. We must be so careful in what we share and what we believe.
I am interested in hearing others' thoughts on this subject, so please feel free to post a comment or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.