Translate

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Icey Bridges: Dangers and Pitfalls

I am going to take a break today from the Restoration series for something I believe is important right now and I hope you will agree.

We received a lot of sleet and frozen rain over night and into this morning.  No school cancellations, no delays, but the roads were very scary.  I had to drive into work this morning, which is about 35 minutes from my home and I have to take the interstate to get there.  The roads on the interstate looked like this:

This may not seem like a big deal to many of you, but trust me, in Texas this is a BIG deal...

It occurred to me as I was driving how carefully myself and the other drivers on the streets were being in these conditions.  We were all so afraid of skidding and damaging our vehicles, others vehicles or the worst case scenario...causing injury or death...that we were taking extra time and going slower than usual.  In the photo you will notice that the lane I am in is much more traveled than the left lane.    We take the road more traveled because cars before us have forged the way and the lane is less treacherous than the one without a cleared path.

But then I asked myself...why do we wait for treacherous weather to be cautious?  Why do we wait for treacherous weather to "follow the leader" down unsafe roads?  What spiritual application does that have for our lives, if any?

That is simple.  If we allow Him to, Jesus Christ will walk before us and prepare the way for us.  The way in which He wants us to go.  The way He has prepared for us will always be less treacherous, much more safe, and travels will be easier. Matthew 11:28-30

28-"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  29-Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30-For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

Our goal should not be to run ahead of the pack and attempt to forge the way ourselves.  We will encounter many traps and snares and dangers that we have not prepared for.  Our goal should be to go to Jesus when we are weary, when we are weak; when we need guidance and a light for the path. 

We should conduct our daily lives just as we drive our cars in dangerous weather.  We need to slow down, look around us, and determine where the danger is and avoid the pitfalls that are there.  We can only do that by keeping our minds and our eyes focused on Jesus Christ.  Don't wait until you have been ensnared to cry to Jesus for a way out.  Learn to walk carefully, learn to be wise in the ways of the world, and know your enemy.  In Matthew 10:16 Jesus said:

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves.  Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves." 

We should be aware of the enemy and just as wise as he is, yet we are to walk in peace and our conduct should be peaceful and reflective of the nature of the King. 

No comments:

Post a Comment