Translate

Friday, January 18, 2013

Compromise - "The Truth Side of Truth"

Some may not see the relevance of compromise to restoration, but it is very relevant and I hope I can explain it well enough here.  I am using myself as an example because I am a very uncompromising woman most of the time.

I consider myself a woman of integrity.  I do not lie.  I do not cheat.  I do not steal.  I am faithful to my husband.  I love my children.  I drive the speed limit.  I give the cashier back the difference when he or she has given me too much change.  I hold the door open for the elderly woman or man behind me. I allow the person behind me in the checkout line that only has one or two items to check out ahead of me when I have a full shopping cart.  I do not break the law.  I have never been arrested and I have never been in jail.

I do not compromise my beliefs or my convictions.  Compromise causes cracks in the foundation and can separate us from our Savior.  Jesus said in Matthew 12:30 -

30 - "He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters abroad."

That does not sound very compromising to me.  It definitely sounds very black and white.  Some have said that my lack of willingness to compromise makes me cold and hard.  Some have said that I cannot be so strong in my convictions that I am not willing to compromise.  After all, they say, what exactly in this world remains black and white 2,000 years after Christ died on the cross? 

My one and simple answer: The truth remains. 


Something is either true or it isn’t.  It can’t be both and there are no sides to take when the truth of a situation is revealed.  After all,

John 8:32 - "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Jesus didn't say we would know whatever the truth was as we saw or as it was explained to us.  He said we would know THE truth.  One truth.  One God. 

I had a former employer try to explain me to my coworkers one day.  He told me that he said my “passion” was not for being right.  I just wanted to be on the “truth side of truth.”  That is a new phrase to me.  I think I may have actually laughed at him. 



Truth has no sides.  It just … is.  There is a phrase we as a society like to use that makes us as individuals feel much better about the truth.  We can sometimes find the truth to hard to tell, so we disguise it in “half truths,” which is still a lie.  Something can have its basis in truth but through deception and compromise that "something" loses credibility and becomes corrupted.  The truth cannot be corrupted.  As discussed in Foundation Part 2, Jesus is our sure foundation, the chief cornerstone. Jesus said in John 14:6 -

6 - Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

With Jesus Christ as our sure foundation...our strong foundation, then we must be built on truth.  There can be no room for compromise in the process of restoration. 

No comments:

Post a Comment